Saturday, May 31, 2008

Little Eyes Upon You






I am reading a great book on teaching your kids manners. As the book points out, it is as much the children that have to be trained in manners as it is the parents. I feel like I have become more attentive to the manners of kids in our society. While I paid attention to this type of behavior before, it has a new meaning to me now for obvious reasons. Although I am not finished with the book yet, it makes several good points that I have learned and wanted to share. We should never be embarrased by our children misbehaving (I know-easy to say), but what we should be embarrassed by is when we fail to deal with the misbehavior. The author says that when we see the behavior through the grid of "teachable moments" then we are free from the unrealistic desire to be a "perfect parent with perfect kids". In this book, there is a little poem from an Unknown Author that I thought was cute. I have become more aware of how much the boys watch John and I. The poem does a good job of depicting this. I will also share a few pics of the boys. The adorable "L" bibs were made by my sister, Sarah. There are also some before and after pictures with our adventures in cereal although they really don't look as messy as they typically do in these pictures. We also tried some small amounts of baby food this week. Cheers!

"Little Eyes Upon You"


There are little eyes upon you
and they're watching night and day
There are little ears that quickly
take in every word you say
There are little hands all eager
to do anything you do;
and a little boy who's dreaming
of the day he'll be like you.
You're the little fellow's idol,
your're the wisest of the wise.
In his little mind about you
no suspicions ever rise.
He believes in you devoutly,
holds all you say and do;
he will say and do, in your way
when he's grown up just like you.
There's a wide-eyed little fellow
who believes you're always right;
and his eyes are always opened,
and he watches day and night.
Your are setting an example
every day in all you do;
for the little boy who's waiting
to grow up to be like you.

No comments: