Thursday, August 28, 2008

Our Progress at the Grocery Store

Luke is gettting excited about the steering wheel!
Liam is not so sure about this.
Watching Baby Einstein with Dad and Adi (the dog)
Liam loves to be on his belly
Luke

I have wondered several times what I would do if Liam weighed the same thing as Luke. Luke is around 20 lbs and Liam is around 16 lbs. While four pounds may not sound like a lot, it makes a big difference when you are carrying babies around for any period of time.

In the past month and a half or so, Luke has been sitting up very well so I have been letting him ride in the front of the grocery cart and he does much much better than when he has to sit in his car seat looking up at the ceiling the entire time. Luke is very outgoing and loves talking to people, looking around, and laughs throughout our trips to the store (when he is sitting in the cart). Prior to this, he was getting very anxious, bored, and often quite cranky. Liam, on the other hand, has always been in the Bjorn carrier on my chest. He is lighter so it is easier for me to carry him and he has enjoyed the Bjorn carrier since he was around six weeks old. But, I have often wondered what I will do when the Liam outgrows the Bjorn carrier because most grocery carts only have room for one child unless you put them in the basket of the cart. Some stores have carts and things designed for two older children, but they are still a little young for that. Considering that I really don't like going to the grocery store anymore than I have to, we need all the room possible in the basket so there is not room for a baby nor do I think we could keep Liam from getting into everything in the basket!

Well, we tried a new store this week and both boys were able to ride in the cart. Luke loved it! He loved the steering wheel, sitting next to his brother, etc....Liam, on the other hand, was a little skeptical. In case you can't see his lack of excitement in the picture, we had to abandon the experiment midway through the store and put Liam in the Bjorn carrier which I thankfully decided to put in the basket. I think we still have a little time before both boys will be riding in the cart together. I remembered when I got to the checkout of this grocery store why I typically do not go there. They do not bag your groceries. Bagging groceries with a Bjorn carrier on your chest and a baby in the grocery basket that is trying to eat the grocery list is not the easiest thing to do. I actually had the nicest lady and mother of three boys that are now grown who offered to assist me in bagging my groceries. Very nice of her and I greatly appreciated the help!

We are looking forward to the Labor Day Weekend and John's time off for a few days. The weather here is still so nice and we hope to take advantage of some time together. Enjoy your Holiday!

No comments: