Monday, August 5, 2013

Welcome Baby Finn!


Just a minute or so after Finn was born

Our good friend Kirsten brought all three boys up to visit Finn for the first time

First picture as a family of SIX!


Luke and Liam were very interested in their brother

Luke loves to hold Finn

Daddy, Luke, and Finn


Lil Bro Finn

First Picture of all Four boys after we got home from the hospital

Aiden and Baby Finn

Big Brother and Lil Bro shirts

Finn Morse Carrithers joined our family on July 29th, 2013 at 1:28 pm.  He was 8 lbs 4 ounces and 20.5 inches long.  

After 3 days of contractions every evening for a hour or two, my water broke around midnight on Sunday, July 28th.  I was in denial initially because I have never been at home when my water has broken and I was certain that I wasn't going into labor since it was July (not August).  After calling the emergency number for the OBGYN, I was convinced that indeed I was in labor at 37 weeks and 2 days.  I wasn't having contractions at the time and actually felt pretty good.  John and I packed our bags and started our "Arrival Plan" for Baby #4 that included calling the neighbors to come over and stay with the boys.  We left for the hospital around 1:00 am and by 1:30 am I was hooked up to a monitor and Baby Finn was looking great.  We were then transferred to a labor and delivery room and told to rest.  Apparently, that "rest" idea worked for John, but I sat in bed pretty much all night trying to "rest" in between having to use the restroom since they were pumping me full of fluids.  

In my previous pregnancies, I have never had my water break at home.  I have always gone into labor at home and waited for awhile before heading to the hospital.  This time, however, was much different.  We had to go in earlier so it felt like we were waiting around forever before I was in active labor.  By around 9:00 am on July 29th, I was having some mild contractions but only dilated about 2 centimeters.  I was put on pitocin to try and regulate the irregular contractions and labor patterns.  They offered several things for pain, but I really wanted to hold off until we were closer so that I could still get up and move around.  By 11:00 am, I was around 4-5 cm dilated and in a significant amount of pain.  I was ready for the epidural so that I could rest a little prior to Finn's birth.  About an hour later, I was 8-9 cm dilated and we knew I was very close to delivery.  

A little after 1:00 pm, I started pushing and Finn was born around 20 minutes later.  Many have asked how we arrived at his name.  It was not an easy process this time around.  We started with around 20 names and narrowed them down considerably.  We asked input from several people (which we have not done in the past) and even took a poll among the boys.  We decided on Finn (meaning "fair") because it sounded fun, full of energy, and a lot like a 4th child.  We also felt it went well with our other names since it is of Irish decent. His middle name, "Morse", is my maiden name as well as the middle name of a few of my relatives.  We have always used family names as middle names for each of the boys so we wanted to keep with that tradition.  

Finn is healthy and doing great.  He was definitely a good size considering he was a little early.  Thus far, he has been fairly easy going and mellow.  He rarely gets very upset and he is very tolerant of all the noise in our house.  We are more than excited about his arrival and appreciate all the prayers and support we have had in past few weeks.  

No comments: