Friday, February 28, 2014

In Memory of Mary

Visiting Mary/Gram during one of our visits to Arkansas (July 2009)

Mary with Liam in July 2008


Mary, Liam, and Myself in July 2008

Mary with Luke and my cousin Julie (far left) and daughter Elizabeth (holding Liam)

Mary with Luke (left) and Liam (right) in July 2008

Luke and Gram at our last Christmas in Arkansas in December 2011.  Note the red shoes with her red sweater!


My grandmother, Mary Julia or "Gram" passed away on February 25, 2014 at the age of 96.  She was a spunky woman who always spoke her mind and loved sports of all kinds.  She was sharp especially for her age, probably due to all the games of bridge and the crossword puzzles she enjoyed working.  My name, "Mary Hannah", came from both my grandmother (Mary Julia) and my Aunt Mary Ann.  All of her grandchildren (except my sister and I) referred to her as Gram, but we called her "Mary."

In July 1943, she went to the hospital to deliver a baby and ended up delivering twins, my dad and his twin sister.  She was so excited when we told her we were having twins.  While we were monitored the entire pregnancy and everything was measured, documented, etc...my grandmother never even knew she was having two babies until she delivered them.  I remember she told me that twins are special and they will always have a special bond.



When I was around the age of 10 or so, I remember calling my grandmother and asking her to go to the mall with me almost every weekend.  We didn't really shop for anything in particular, but we both loved going.  She would let me buy a treat and we would have lunch and just walk.  She was always willing to go with me when I asked even if we walked around looking at the same shops.  I remember how excited she was (or at least appeared to be) whenever I called her.  

From the time I was in junior high until I started college, my grandmother always went on vacation with us.  We went to the same spot in Florida and she was not much of a beach person (I am pretty sure she didn't even know how to swim and she was way too fair skinned to sunbathe), but she would sit at the beach or pool with her big sun hat and watch us daily.   She was always along for the ride and enjoyed every minute of it.  She never complained, just made us all laugh with her funny comments and such.  

My grandmother always took a lot of care in making sure she was dressed nicely.  Her clothes were clean, pressed, and she always had some brightly colored shoes to match.  For example, she would wear bright red shoes with her red sweater.  If you complimented her on her outfit, she would say, "oh, I have had this forever..."  I am not sure I ever remember seeing her in the same outfit, however, and her clothes always looked brand new.

My dad took amazing care of my grandmother in her last few years of life.  There is no doubt in my mind that she would have never lived to be 96 years old if she had not been taken such good care of by my dad.  He visited my grandmother every day and I never once heard him complain.  

We will miss you so much, Mary/Gram. 

No comments: