Monday, October 5, 2015

Fun Run and Our Week

Croquet with Mimi.  Mimi gave us the croquet set she found at my grandmother's (her mom's) house

Luke (back right in blue shirt) on the obstacle running course

Aiden at the Fun Run

Mimi and Aiden helping out

Luke being silly

Liam and his buddy, Oliver

Luke and Liam lining up after run

Popsicles post run

Popsicles with their friends
It would be hard to talk about any of the fun things we did last week without also talking about the not so fun stuff.  A week ago on a Sunday afternoon, I started running fever.  John had just returned from two trips (one  business trip followed by a stop in Arkansas to retrieve furniture from family members).  I decided that I was probably getting the 24 hour virus that all the boys had the week before so I went to bed early thinking that I would be fine tomorrow.

When Monday arrived, I felt worse and was battling fever off and on all night and day.  By Monday night, I had fever up to 103.9.  I was taking Tylenol and/or Advil regularly, but felt pretty miserable.  John and my mom had taken over the house and the boys.  I was sent to bed.  Each time my fever would break, I felt fine and had no other symptoms (i.e. sore throat, stomach ache, cold, cough, etc...).  Prior to Sunday, I was feeling fine and had not even had as much a cold.

The uncontrollable fevers went on for several days and I became more and more lethargic, minimal appetite, and basically unable to function.  I had more and more high fevers of 103.9 and had fewer breaks in fever.  By Thursday morning, I was certain this had to be more than a virus so I went to the urgent care at our local hospital.  They asked a series of basic questions, performed a few blood tests, and sent me home saying I should rest and continue Tylenol.

After texting my dad and explaining the situation, he called me shortly after the visit and said I needed to go see an internist and get a more thorough exam.  He asked several questions over the phone and felt there had to be something more.  It is unlike me to be sick for more than 24-48 hours.

I found an internist to see me on very short notice and I made an appointment on Thursday afternoon at another clinic.  She performed a thorough exam, asked several questions, did more blood work, and a chest x-ray.  I found out that I had pneumonia in the lower left lung.  It was definitely an atypical pneumonia considering I had not been sick with a cold, strep, or any type of respiratory illness.  Thankfully, with my dad's urging, I went to a second clinic and a doctor was able to determine the issue. I started an antibiotic immediately and was feeling better by the end of the weekend.

Sadly, all of this illness happened during the second week of my mom's visit.  We missed out on doing all of the fun things I was hoping we could try.  My mom did manage to do a few fun things with John and the boys during the week, but primarily she was busy taking care of me and the boys.

Luke and Liam had their Fun Run at school on Friday and John took my place as a volunteer.  My mom helped as well and had fun with Aiden while they cheered on Luke and Liam.  She also experienced her very first hockey game and found it to be "a lot more exciting" than she thought.  Luke and Liam play at a 3 on 3 facility on Wednesday evenings and we missed the week before because Liam was sick, but she was able to go this week.  Aiden and my mom went to swimming lessons and Finn enjoyed several walks outside and played several games in the garage and driveway.

Overall, my mom claims to have enjoyed herself despite our change in plans during week #2.  So thankful for all of the help she provided to us during the week.  Thanks also to John and several close friends who also urged met to rest and offered to help in many ways.  It was a long week, but things are getting better!

No comments: