Saturday, December 29, 2007

Trial Run






We have had an eventful 24 hours to say the least. It all began with my routine weekly doctors appointment on Friday, December 28th at 10am. We went in for an ultrasound and weekly check-up at 34 weeks. The babies are both growing well and are up to roughly 5 lbs each. They continue to look good and have strong heart beats, move frequently, and my belly continues to expand. At around 11 am, we saw the physician who measured my cervix and said I was 3 cm dilated (previously I was 1 cm dilated) and 80% effaced. He scared us a little and told us to go directly to Labor and Delivery at the hospital. So, without stopping to pick up our overnight bags or anything else for that matter, we drove to the hospital immediately. I was put on three monitors-one for each baby and one for my contractions. The contractions began to become more regular and my cervix continued to dilate to around 4.5 cm. We were given options of C-section vs. natural delivery, epidural, etc... We were encouraged by the physician on call that both babies were doing well, not in any distress, Baby A was still head down, and appeared to be a good size if delivered at this stage. We opted to let nature take its course and shoot for a natural delivery. However, by around 7 pm, the majority of the contractions had stopped and at 8pm my cervix measured 4.5 cm. I was finally given permission to eat something (other than a popsicle) and moved to a room for the night. On Saturday, my cervix was measured again and showed no change. I was also not having any regular contractions; therefore the physician said I could go home and rest. We are very thankful that the pre-term labor stopped and the babies have the opportunity to grow a little more because staying in the belly is the best place for them even if it is only for a few more days. At this point, we don't know if it will be 24 hours or 2 weeks, but we will take it one day at a time. Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, and support. We are posting a few pictures of our trip to the hospital as well as our amazing petsitters, the Maymirs. The Maymirs are wonderful friends that came over to get the pets last night along with all of the pet food and gear only to find out today that I was being sent home from the hospital! They also made a trip to the hospital with our bags that we failed to get on the way to the hospital-lesson learned....Thank you Debbie, Juan Carlos, Isabel, and Benjamin!

More to come!


John, Hannah, and the Twins


1 comment:

CCC Blogger said...

Aren't those monitors so comfortable?